Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Billy Wilder & Raymond Chandler: I Want What I Don't Want


You can't assume people will tell you the truth about their desires even if they know them. What you are more likely to get are answers that will protect them in their steadfast endeavor to appear to the world as sensible, intelligent, rational beings.

-VioletPlanet

Phyllis: Mr. Neff, why don't you drop by tomorrow evening about eight-thirty. He'll be in then.

Walter Neff: Who?
Phyllis: My husband. You were anxious to talk to him weren't you?

Walter Neff: Yeah, I was, but I'm sort of getting over the idea, if you know what I mean.

Phyllis: There's a speed limit in this state, Mr. Neff. Forty-five miles an hour.

Walter Neff: How fast was I going, officer?
Phyllis: I'd say around ninety.

Walter Neff: Suppose you get down off your motorcycle and give me a ticket.

Phyllis: Suppose I let you off with a warning this time.
Walter Neff: Suppose it doesn't take.

Phyllis: Suppose I have to whack you over the knuckles.
Walter Neff: Suppose I bust out crying and put my head on your shoulder.

Phyllis: Suppose you try putting it on my husband's shoulder.
Walter Neff: That tears it.
*************************************
Phyllis: We're both rotten.
Walter Neff: Only you're a little more rotten.

-Billy Wilder & Raymond Chandler (DOUBLE INDEMNITY,1944 Novel: James M. Cain)

No comments: