Friday, February 13, 2009

Love & The Forces Of Human Destiny: Just...A Place In The Sun

The Moment:


George: I love you. I've loved you since the first moment I saw you. I guess maybe I've even loved you before I saw you.

Angela: You're the fellow that wondered why I invited you here tonight. Well, I'll tell you why. I love...Are they watching us?

(Angela pulls George away from the party onto a balcony)

Angela: I love you, too. It scares me. But it is a wonderful feeling.

George: It's wonderful when you're here. I can hold you. I can, I can see you. I can hold you next to me. But what's it gonna be like next week? All summer long? I'll still be just as much in love with you. You'll be gone.


Angela: But I'll be at the lake. You'll come up and see me. Oh, it's so beautiful there. You must come. I know my parents will be a problem, but you can come on the weekends when the kids from school are up there. You don't have to work weekends. That's the best time. If you don't come, I'll drive down here to see you. I'll pick you up outside the factory. You'll be my pickup. Oh, we'll arrange it somehow, whatever way we can. We'll have such wonderful times together, just the two of us.

George:  I am the happiest person in the world.

Angela: The second happiest.

George: Oh, Angela, if I could only tell you how much I love you, if I could only tell you all....

Angela: Tell mama, tell mama all.


- Michael Wilson & Harry Brown ("A Place In The Sun," directed by George Stevens. Image: Elizabeth Taylor & Montgomery Clift kiss on the balcony, 1951).

Footnote: Based on the classic novel "An American Tragedy" by Theodore Dreiser. Themes: "One man’s losing struggle against forces that shape human destiny. According to Dreiser and other writers of Naturalism, the destiny of a human being results from hereditary, environmental, economic, social, and fatalistic forces that act upon him."(- Michael Cummings, 2006).

3 comments:

Qupid said...

It's beautiful, but I feel like I'm missing the point. Am I? Your post is formatted in a lovely way though. Want to exchange blog links? If yours is a romance blog, it'll go together well with mine. Kudos!

VioletPlanet said...

Hi Qupid,

See the movie A Place In the Sun directed by George Stevens starring Elizabeth Taylor. Did you read the blurb about the book the film is based on at the bottom of the page? It's all about Naturalism....

Thanks for the compliment and reading the post! I do post love-related subjects but I would not say my blog is a romance blog. If you still want to link, let me know!

Anonymous said...

I watched this and DVR-ed it so I could watch it again on TCM over the weekend. I love this movie. Poor Shelly though she was always the poor sad archetype of rejected woman. I saw this time a great many similarities between this movie and Woody Allens Match Point (also a fav) a few things are different but a few things struck me as a direct homage. I loved the slow suspense in A place in the Sun and the moment when he see's the glassy eyed child singing with his ministry parents. Blank and empty. And when his mother is sitting in the meeting house staring at his room. His room that she kept "just the way it was" since he was 13 - having to sleep in there and be there with all the vagrants and transients. He did not have a chance. I really believed he did not want his girlfriend to end up as she did. But who ever knows a man's heart. Thank you for the post I loved your thoughts.